sábado, 16 de abril de 2011

Explaining Poem: The Sound of the Conch

I'll start from the most obvious (and therefore boring) and try to go deeper. The image in the end, is basically the cover of the book, which shows the head of a pig in a stick. I chose this particular image because it represents the violence and darkness that I wanted my poem to show, and also because after all the pig's head IS the "Lord of the Flies". The title refers to the shell used in the book by Ralph to summon the other kids for meetings, and thus it represents society and order, as oppose to the primitive state that some kids embraced later on, it is as I said in the poem "The sound of reason". To set the mood of the book I started my poem with the kids getting lost in the island, specifically at night (navy-blue sky), because it's usually during that period that the book goes deeper in the darkness of the human soul. I included the "scar" that the plane crash creates in the forest to show that the island was never an evil place on its own, it needed the darkness inside each individual to turn into an ugly and violent place. "Kill all innocence" refers to Simon's death, because from that moment on things went downhill and you couldn't predict what the kids would do next. The shorter verses that I repeated several times with small adaptations were meant to give some pace to the poem, like the tribal songs that Jack always sings, and they evolved following the plot of the book, showing at the end a Symbol to Piggy's death, the last one before they are rescued. I also included the "masks" that Jack and his choir use to cover their faces as they do the most terrible things shamelessly and the "stick sharpened at both ends" that impales the pig's head and later on is used to show that Jack intends to give Ralph the same treatment. All in all I think I did a good job getting the mood of the book into something much shorter, I'm very proud of how I could really feel in my poem the darkness, the doubt and the violence when people turn against each other with no better reason than envy and pride.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário